Google Earth...More Than Just Fun


I've played around with Google Earth before.  I have even used it in my classroom before when we read a story called, Me on the Map.  I started with a picture of the whole planet and zoomed in until we got to our country, state, city, and then school.  But did you know there is so much more than you can do with Google Earth? This is what I learned this week.  

How to Create a Project:

You can actually make a project and share it with your students.  When making a project, you can select locations that Google Earth will take your students to.  You can then insert videos, pictures, or documents from your drive, the Internet, or your computer.  Below I added some step-by-step directions and made a quick how-to video on how to make a project using Google Earth.  

1.  Go to Google Earth.  Go to the Menu Button (3 lines in the top left corner), and select Projects. 
2.  Click on New Projects and select Create Project in Google Drive.  
3.  Click on the pencil to edit the name and write a description of the project.
4.  Then you will select New Feature.  From there you can select a place on the map, search for a         location,  add a slide that will either be a picture or can be words.  
5.  When I searched for a place, the map took me to that place. Then I selected, Add to Project.
6.  Once you have added a location, you can edit the information provided by clicking Replace and selecting what you want to add: text, document, picture, video, etc.  

Watch my video for more information.   




Google Earth Voyager:

You can tour the world with these Google-made voyages.  The possibilities almost seem endless.  

Here is how to take a voyage on Google Earth:

1. Go to www.earth.google.com. From there you will select the wheel that says, Voyager. 

2.  This will take you to a new page, where there will be a slideshow playing showing you the possibilities along with selections across the bottom that allow you to pick the type of voyage you want to do.

3.  Once you have made your selection, it will then take you to information or questions and the location.  

Below, I chose "Great Hikes Around the World" and then it gave me numerous selections on where to hike.  
\

After selecting, Animal Sound Quiz, it had me listen to sounds and guess the correct animal.  

After I made my guess, Google Earth took me to a street view of the animal's habitat.  


Have some fun exploring! 

Comments